Dr. Silvia Socorro
- CICS-UBI, Health Sciences Research Centre
- +351 275 329 053
2016 – now: Associate Professor, University of Beira Interior (UBI)
2014 – 2016: Assistant Professor with Habilitation, UBI
2010 – 2014: Assistant Professor (Tenure), UBI
2004 – 2010: Assistant Professor, UBI
Expertise and Research Interests
- Andrology, Endocrinology and Oncology research fields, namely:
- Metabolic deregulation driving male infertility and carcinogenesis;
- Steroid hormones actions in male reproductive physiology and prostate cancer;
- Endocrine disruptors in male reproductive physiology and prostate cancer.
- Regulation of male germ cell survival and death (e.g. aging, damaging factors, oncology patients);
- Environmental exposure, diet and life style in relationship with prostate cancer;
- Calcium homeostasis in male reproductive physiology and cancer (e.g. regucalcin, transporters and pumps).
- Cardoso HJ, Vaz CV, Carvalho TMA, Figueira MI and Socorro S (2019) Tyrosine kinase inhibitor imatinib modulates the viability and apoptosis of castrate-resistant prostate cancer cells dependently on the glycolytic environment Life Sci 218: 274–283.
- Mateus I, Feijó M, Espínola LM, Vaz C, Correia S, Socorro S (2018) Glucose and glutamine handling in the Sertoli cells of transgenic rats overexpressing regucalcin: plasticity towards lactate production Sci Rep 8(1): 10321
- Figueira MI, Cardoso HJ, Correia S, Maia CJ, Socorro S (2017) The stem cell factor (SCF)/c-KIT system in carcinogenesis of reproductive tissues: what does the hormonal regulation tell us? Cancer Lett 405:10-21
- Figueira MI, Correia S, Vaz CV, Cardoso HJ, Gomes IM, Marques R, Maia CJ, Socorro S (2016) Estrogens down-regulate the stem cell factor (SCF)/c-KIT system in rat prostate: evidence of antiproliferative and apoptotic effects Biochem Pharmacol 99:73-87
- Silva AMS, Correia S, Socorro S# and Maia CJ # (2016) Endogenous factors in the recovery of reproductive function after testicular injury and cancer Curr Mol Med 16(7): 631-49