2017 – now: Assistant professor University of Groningen
2016 – 2017: Postdoc University of Texas at Austin
2015 – 2016: Postdoc Utrecht University
2010 – 2015: Phd Psychology Utrecht University
2007 – 2009: MSc Psychology University of Amsterdam
Expertise and Research Interests
- Gender and sexual diversity
- LGBTQ adolescent mental health
- Quantitative research
- Laura’s research addresses health disparities among LGBTQ youth, and how these can be exacerbated or diminished by social environmental factors.
- Baams, L., Wilson, B. D., & Russell, S. T. (2019). LGBTQ youth in unstable housing and foster care. Pediatrics, 143(3), e20174211.
- Baams, L. (2018). Disparities for LGBTQ and gender nonconforming adolescents. Pediatrics, 141(5), e20173004.
- Kaufman, T. M., Baams, L., & Veenstra, R. (2019). Disparities in persistent victimization and associated internalizing symptoms for heterosexual versus sexual minority youth. Journal of Research on Adolescence.
- Baams, L., De Luca, S. M., & Brownson, C. (2018). Use of mental health services among college students by sexual orientation. LGBT Health, 5(7), 421-430.
- Baams, L., Grossman, A. H., & Russell, S. T. (2015). Minority stress and mechanisms of risk for depression and suicidal ideation among lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth. Developmental Psychology, 51, 688-696.